St. Edward’s University offers members of the university community the right to have disputes resolved through fair and transparent processes.

Disputes can be resolved through the following processes:

Standards of Conduct and other policies are outlined in the St. Edward’s University Student Handbook.

Issues and complaints that cannot be addressed through established channels should be resolved, if possible, between involved parties. In other situations, students are encouraged to submit complaints to the Dean of Students.

Submitting a Formal Complaint

The student may file a formal complaint with the Dean of Students describing the treatment, action or decision at issue and the remedy sought. To file a formal complaint, complete Student Complaint Form and press submit. 


  • The Dean of Students will investigate student complaints or refer the student to appropriate the office for resolution. Complaints arising from a student's educational and academic experience may be referred to Academic Affairs for resolution.
  • The complaining party will be interviewed by the Dean of Students.
  • The investigation may include contact with other parties involved.
  • If appropriate, efforts may be taken to resolve a conflict by bringing parties together for discussion.
  • Supervisors of employees may be contacted if complaints involve their areas.
  • Complaints related to the Dean of Students office should be referred directly to the Vice President for Student Affairs (Campus Mail Box 1059).
  • Written decisions will be sent to all parties involved.
  • Written appeals may be submitted to the Vice President for Student Affairs within five days of the original decision.
  • A record of complaints will be maintained in the Office of the Dean of Students.

All student complaints must first be addressed internally. If the internal resources have been exhausted and the complaint is not satisfactorily resolved, the student may file a complaint with the regulatory agency in the state that he or she is receiving instruction and/or the institution's accrediting agency. Contact information for these agencies is below:

Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
Office of the General Counsel
P.O. Box 12788
Austin, TX 78711-2788

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097
The Commission requests that they be contacted only if there is evidence that appears to support an institution's significant non-compliance with a requirement or standard.